One of the most frequently asked questions from those who are considering pursuing the Certified Industrial Hygienist® (CIH®) credential or preparing for the examination is what resources and references have Diplomats found useful in the past? This information can be extremely beneficial before taking the 5 1/2 hour written exam which consists of 200 multiple choice questions designed to assess the knowledge and skills required to function as a certified practitioner in the field.
While the American Board of Industrial Hygiene® (ABIH®) does not endorse specific references or study aids, it has compiled a list of those items named by previous examinees who passed the examination.
References most cited included:
- Fundamentals of Industrial Hygiene, National Safety Council - ACGIH
- The Occupational Environment: Its Evaluation, Control, and Management, AIHA
- The TLV/BEI Booklet, ACGIH
Other study resources commonly noted included:
- The Industrial Hygiene Reference and Study Guide, AIHA
- Industrial-Occupational Hygiene Calculations, A Professional Reference, 2nd Edition, James H. Stewart, et. al.
- CIHprep V9.0 Certified Industrial Hygiene Professional Certification Training, Datachem Software
- CIH Review Course Materials
Examinees also noted more specialized references which focus on specific rubrics, such as:
- Industrial Ventilation: A Manual of Recommended Practice, ACGIH
- Toxicology Principles for the Industrial Hygienist, AIHA
- Recognition of Health Hazards in Industry: A Review of Materials and Processes, ACGIH
"Recognizing the resources and references that have been cited by those who successfully completed the CIH examination can be useful information for those preparing to take the exam during the upcoming spring or fall exam periods," said Nicole Greeson, CIH, Chair of the American Board of Industrial Hygiene. "This information, along with a list of training and review courses that were also cited in surveys of past examinees, can be found at the ABIH website."
To see the complete list of resources along with those publications recommended, please visit: http://abih.org/become-certified/prepare-exam.
About the American Board of Industrial Hygiene
Since 1960, ABIH, a not-for-profit corporation, has been the world's largest, premier organization for certifying professionals in the practice of industrial hygiene. ABIH is responsible for ensuring high-quality certification including education, experience, examination, certification maintenance and ethics enforcement. Currently, more than 6800 people are certified to use the CIH designation.
Source: ABIH Webwire February 17, 2015
To purchase many of the ABIH recommended resources, visit The Bowen Learning Network Bookstore.