BGC Updates CIH Exam Results Procedure
The Board for Global EHS Credentialing, formally ABIH, announced that beginning with the Spring 2022 exam, examinees will no longer be informed of their preliminary pass/fail status immediately after completing the examination. Instead, exam results will be emailed using the primary email in the examinee's CAPS account.
According to the BGC:
"Although examinees used to receive notification of a preliminary pass or fail either on the test site computer screen or by printout in the past, this is no longer BGC practice for two reasons:
- Test sites did not consistently provide results to all BGC examinees, and
- Many examinees were presenting themselves as a Certified Industrial Hygienist® (CIH®) based on the preliminary pass results, without obtaining the official notice of CIH certification from BGC, which is contrary to the BGC Code of Ethics.
BGC's official pass or fail notifications continue to be provided approximately four weeks after the exam completion date. We are working with our test vendor to assure that our current practice is correctly communicated to all examinees."
The updated procedure is posted on the new GoBGC.org website in the CIH Candidate Handbook. Everything you need to know about the exam (except for the actual questions) can be found in this online handbook, from how to apply to what to expect on examination day.
The New Notification of CIH Examination Results states:
Beginning with the Spring 2022 exam, examinees will no longer be informed of their preliminary pass/fail status immediately after completing the examination.
Exam results will be emailed using the primary email in the examinee's CAPS account.
- We will confirm your official results and send them by email approximately four weeks after the examination date.
- If you fail your examination, the notification of your results will include details of your overall score.
- All examinees will receive a performance report indicating their scores in the individual subject areas (rubrics).
- Examinees can access their score report via CAPS.
We know you worked hard preparing for the exam, and waiting for the results can be nerve-racking. We recommend writing down what you can remember from the exam, what you feel your strengths and weaknesses were, and what you will do differently if you have to take the exam again. In the meantime, relax, focus on work, family, and friends, and know that you've taken the right step to advance your career.
Remember, if you have to retake the CIH exam and participated in a Bowen EHS CIH Online Review Course within a year of taking the exam, you may qualify for the Bowen EHS Guarantee and can take the next CIH Online Review at no charge.
Don't let an exam keep you from advancing your career! We are here to help you find success!