Older Courses - Electa
Audio Issues in the Virtual Classroom - Electa
Below are some audio issue symptoms you may be experiencing. The settings can be changed by using the Test Classroom.
1. The instructor's voice sounds strange or high pitched.
This is actually a feature so that the instructor's voice does not become difficult to hear. It is called the Live Audio Catch-up feature. It happens when the network connections are not consistent.
2. The instructor's voice is choppy or inconsistent. The slides and video are out of sync with the audio.
The Live Audio Catch-up feature is probably turned off and a network connection between you and the instructor is unstable. When turned on, the instructor's voice might become high pitched. This is to bring the audio and video back into sync.
How to check and change
Live Sessions / In class
- Open Electa if it is not open ( Go to the Test Rooms and enter the American Test Classroom).
- Select the Local Audio Settings under the Audio menu.
- Check or 'X' the Use Electa Live Audio Catch-up technology checkbox.
- Click the Apply button.
For recordings, just check the Use Catch-Up box in the control window found in the lower right corner of the screen.
3. The audio still sounds choppy.
If you already tried Audio Catch-Up and you still have issues, you may have internet access issues or some app or program on your device is interrupting or trying to use too many resources.
impacts live sessions and playing/streaming recordings
- Check to make sure that you have a solid internet connection. (Latency and jitter are the more crucial factors that make a connection solid. Lower is better. Maximum latency = 300ms.)
- Make sure others are not using too much bandwidth (streaming videos and online games can take up a lot of bandwidth).
Apps Interrupting or Using Resources
impacts live sessions, playing/streaming recordings, and playing downloaded recordings
Apps that impact this fall into these categories:
- Backup and synchronizing apps
- Acronis True Image
- Antimalware (viruses, rootkits, spyware, etc.)
These apps have a live setting where they monitor in the background. Apps that simply scan when you tell them should not cause issues.
- AVG Antivirus
- Norton / Symantec
- Updates (for your system or for your apps)
Most systems like to download and sometimes install updates in the background. This can slow down your machine and personal internet connection. Your system may be waiting to restart and update. Sometimes the pending updates can impact how well your device behaves. Some tips to consider:
- Check for updates and install them.
- Restart your device.
- See if updates can be scheduled to be updated when you are not using your device.
4. You do not hear any audio.
Electa may be set to the wrong audio playback device.
How to check and change
- Click the Audio Setup Wizard button.
- Check and change the playback devices (red arrow) and click the Play button (blue arrow) to test it. You should hear a recorded voice.
If you do not hear anything, try another device listed in the dropdown selection (red arrow) and click the Play button. Repeat until you hear the voice or run out of devices.
- Click the Close button when you are done.
If that did not work, please check your audio device (connections, battery levels, etc.).