Certification: You're Worth It!
I get it. We all do. You feel run down with the stresses of everyday life. You don't have time for one more thing that's going to take up hours in your day.
But when was the last time you did something just for YOU? Have you made yourself a priority lately? That's hard, isn't it? We find it easier to give to other people than we do to ourselves. Here's a gift to yourself you should really consider, though, because the payoffs are big: an EH&S certification.
Big payoffs, you say?
Good. I'm happy to see you're listening.
Yes, big payoffs.
I'm not going to lie to you. Getting your certification might mean giving up watching Dancing with the Stars or Monday night football for a while. You may have to sacrifice some time with family and friends. All good things take an investment of some kind. Hard work is worth it in the end, though. Here are just a few of the many payoffs in obtaining your EH&S certification:
- You get to stretch your money further: Did you know that a Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM), or Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) professional certification can bring you on average $20,000 more than if you were in the industry but didn't have the certification? $20,000 is a whole lotta money! You'll be able to get off your Ramen noodle diet for once and for all—unless you actually like Ramen noodles, in which case you might be interested in Simply Ramen: A Complete Course for Preparing Ramen Noodles at Home, available at Amazon. The cookbook pairs exceptionally well with long nights of studying.
- You become part of the gold standard: If you're like me, you enjoyed getting gold stars on your 4th grade homework papers. Remember those? It meant you were it! You'd nailed your homework, and you were being recognized for it. I kind of miss those gold stars, but the next best thing is being part of a network that sets itself as the gold standard. The main certifying bodies for environmental, health, and safety include The Board of Certified Safety Professionals (BCSP) (bcsp.org), The American Board of Industrial Hygiene (ABIH) (abih.org), and The Institute of Hazardous Materials Management (IHMM) (ihmm.org). You're being certified by the best. Bowen EHS is proud to be a part of this professional community.
- You set yourself up as a leader: You're not satisfied with the status quo, and that's why you're thinking about getting your EH&S certification in the first place. You want more out of life. Everybody can walk over a bar that's set low, but where's the challenge in that? You want the high bar. You're a leader and a changemaker.
- You get R-E-S-P-E-C-T: Aretha sang about it, and it's something all of us want. With certification, you get the recognition and respect of your peers, your employers, and the public. Certification means something. You set a goal, and you achieved it. Peers will look up to you, employers will want to hire you, and the public will look to you as an expert in your field. What's not to love about all that?
- You're able to share your passion with other likeminded professionals: When you make that decision to pursue certification, you're taking the first step toward sharing your passion for your career with others. You become part of a network of professionals who are working toward the same goals: to better themselves and to make the world a safer place. Bowen EHS is here to help you close the final link in the chain that connects you with others who share your ideas.
You really have nothing to lose and everything to gain by becoming certified. So whether you're at the idea stage of just thinking about certification or you're knee-deep in coursework, we're glad you're here. You'll soon see the payoffs I mentioned and be able to add more of your own. Do it for yourself. You deserve it.