BCSP's New Webpage for Applicants with International Degrees
The Board of Certified Safety Professionals seeks to clarify the application process for candidates holding international degrees with a new page on their website.
Both the ASP and CSP require applicants have the US equivalency of an associate degree in safety, health, or the environment, or a bachelor’s degree in any field. As part of the application process, academic degrees from outside the United States must be evaluated for US equivalency.
Candidates must meet all the following requirements when applying for the ASP and CSP certifications:
- Meet the experience requirement for the ASP certification, which is 1 year of safety experience where safety is at least 50% preventative, at a professional level of safety duties.
- Meet the experience requirement for the CSP certification, which is 4 years of safety experience where safety is at least 50% preventative, at a professional level of safety duties, and submit proof of holding any of the following BCSP approved credentials:
- Associate Safety Professional® (ASP) (ASP certification number)
- Graduate Safety Practitioner® (GSP) (GSP designation number)
- Certified Industrial Hygienist® (CIH®) (CIH certification number)
- Chartered Member of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (CMIOSH) (CMIOSH membership number)
- Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) (CRSP certification number)
- Professional Member of the Singapore Institution of Safety Officers (SISO) (SISO membership number)
- Member in the Institute of Safety Professionals of Nigeria (MISPN) (Membership certificate)
- NEBOSH National or International Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety (NEBOSH diploma)
- Diploma/Certificate in Industrial Safety, as issued by the State Government Departments/Boards of Technical Education, Government of India (Diploma and Mark Sheet)
- Both the ASP and CSP require applicants have the US equivalency of an associate degree in safety, health, or the environment, as described on their respective webpages, or a bachelor’s degree in any field. BCSP will accept a non-US 3-year bachelor degree from a recognized academic institution.
Find detailed information about the international degree evaluation process on the BCSP's new website page, bcsp.org/Certifications/International-Degrees.