Dr. Pate has over 10 years of environmental health and safety experience in academic, research and healthcare settings in both the public and private sector. Dr. Pate's EHS experience has ranged from collection and management of radioactive, chemical, and biologic waste streams for a major research university to management of a comprehensive EHS program for a large multi-facility health system. Dr. Pate has been responsible for the development and delivery of a variety of EHS training topics, and his goal is to assist Bowen EHS clients in achieving their professional development goals. Outside of work, Dr. Pate enjoys spending time with his wife and two daughters.
What worked for me?
"As a Bowen EHS alumni, I found the ability to re-watch recorded lectures and all of the questions in the Study Vault of great benefit as I prepared for the ASP, CSP, and CIH exams."
What do I like to teach?
"I enjoy my role as an instructor because I understand how daunting the task of exam preparation can be and I love the opportunity to make understanding the material and achieving the goal achievable."
Meet Dr. Pate
University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston - School of Public Health
Doctor of Public Health in Environmental & Occupational Health Sciences; December 2016
Dissertation Title: Agreement Between Patient Safety Culture and Employee Safety Culture in a Healthcare Environment
Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi
Master of Business Administration; December 2018
Concentration: Healthcare Administration
Florida International University
Master's of Public Health; April 2011
Graduate Certificate in Environmental & Occupational Health; April 2011
The University of Texas at San Antonio
Graduated Magna cum laude with Bachelor of Science in Biology, May 2007
- Certified Health Physicist; November 2016; ABHP
- Certified Healthcare Facility Manager- #2321; October 2014; AHA-CC
- Certified Industrial Hygienist- #CP 10268; April 2013; ABIH
- Certified Safety Professional- #24213; July 2013; BCSP
- Certified Healthcare Safety Professional- #3406; June 2012; IBCSM
- Certified Hazardous Materials Manager- #15752; August 2011; IHMM
- Certified in Public Health- #5942; May 2011; NBPHE
- Certified Laser Safety Officer- #3490; November 2010; BLS
- Certified Protection Professional; January 2020; ASIS
OTHER CERTIFICATIONS & REGISTRATIONS
- Licensed Medical Physicist- Medical Health Physics Specialty; License # FMP02000044; March 2017-Present; Texas Medical Board
- 40 Hour HAZWOPER [29 CFR 1910.120(e)]; October 2008; QSSI
- Program Director, Radiation & Occupational Safety, The University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB Health), Galveston, TX – September 2015 - present
- EHS Consultant, The University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB Health), Galveston, TX - June 2013 – August 2015
- Safety Manager, Environment of Care, University Health System, San Antonio, TX - May 2012- June 2013
- Environmental Health & Safety Specialist - Practitioner, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (UTHSCSA), San Antonio, TX - April 2009- May 2012
- Environmental Health & Safety Specialist - Associate, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (UTHSCSA), San Antonio, TX - Aug 2008- April 2009
- Guest Lecturer, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX – 2013-Present
- Guest Lecturer, University of Houston Clear Lake, Clear Lake, TX - October 2018
- Full-Time Instructor, Occupational Safety & Health, Columbia Southern University, Orange Beach, AL - April 2017-Present
- Senior Instructor, Bowen EHS, Chapel Hill, NC - October 2013 - Present